Saturday, October 6, 2012

Owl Be Watching You

Owls have long been associated with magic and Halloween. They happen to be one of my favorite night creatures and not just at Halloween. Here is some fascinating owl folklore.
~ On All Hallows Eve demons take the form of owls and fly beside Witches
~ Known as night hags
~ Believed to be shape shifted Witches
~ Roman name for owl is strix meaning Witch
~ Sacred to Hecate, Athena, Minerva
~Blodeuweddd the owl Goddess of Autumn and the changing seasons becomes the winter hag
~ Wearing owl jewelry or amulets brings good luck
~ Call can be a harbinger of death
~ A symbol of Wisdom





6 comments:

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Well you and I both share an affinity for the Night Owls! My husband is convinced I'm going to become a 'crazy old owl lady' one day, whose house is filled from floor to ceiling with owl figurines...ha! Nice images too, thanks for sharing! :o)

JOMOblog said...

You have an awesome blog! Love the images and great information. I'll be back again real soon.

greekwitch said...

I just love them! Last time i went to the zoo, i spend half an hour in all four in front of their cage collecting their beautiful feathers! My husband was bored to death and people kept looking, go wonder!
Blessed be!

Guillaume said...

I LOVE those images and I LOVE owls. Here in England, they are often shown on display during fayres and other events throughout autumn.

Magic Love Crow said...

This is fantastic!!! Love the images and love all the information!! I wish it could be Halloween every month ;o) LOL!

Jeanne said...

Great vintage images! Hubby has an affinity for Owls and we have a lot of them in our house. :0)